Fishing Breaks in South Wales
Our self catering cottages are an ideal base for fishing holidays in Wales. The fishing opportunities are wonderful and our local guide extremely knowledgeable. There are many benefits to choosing our cottages whether you are a complete beginner or an experienced angler.
- guiding and tuition available (pickup at cottage)
- catch sewin in the River Tawe, just a mile away
- local to one of Wales’ best fishing tackle shops
- excellent sea fishing and coarse fishing nearby
Organising your fishing activities couldn’t be easier. Having chosen you cottage, we recommend that you either:
(1) Get in touch with our local tourist board approved fishing guide, Kim Tribe [Tel: 01639 639076]. As former Welsh Rivers Champion and heat winner at the 2001 World Fly-Fishing Championships, Kim can help you to organise some unforgettable fishing. He’ll pick you up at your holiday cottage, take you to the best fishing spots and also supply all the kit and permits that you may need. He caters for beginners to highly experienced anglers looking to familiarise themselves with the area and learn unusual methods.
(2) Should you wish to take a more DIY approach to your fishing holiday, we recommend that you get in touch with Mark at our local fishing tackle shop HR Jones Angling Supplies [Tel: 01792 842202]. Let Mark know that you are staying at Swansea Valley Holiday Cottages and he will be happy to give advice on local fishing opportunities, necessary permits and will also do some special rates on fishing equipment for our guests.
By choosing to stay at one of our award winning cottages for your fishing holiday, you are not only in the right spot for some fantastic fishing, but you benefit from our proximity to local fishing businesses such as Kim’s Guiding and Tuition and Mark’s Tackle Shop.
River Fishing in the Swansea Valley
Our holiday cottages are situated in one of finest river fishing locations in the British Isles, with jumbo sewin, brown trout and salmon prominent in river catches. There are even a few grayling in the rivers of South Wales but first and foremost it is the thrill of catching sewin – magnificent, mysterious sea trout – on the fly at night that draws anglers from far and wide to these world famous spate rivers. Our cottages are in an ideal location for game fishing on the Tawe, Towy and Teifi rivers.
Sea Fishing in South Wales
Many sea anglers make this corner of the UK their regular holiday destination, fishing the glorious Gower coastline as well as the productive grounds within Swansea Bay itself. During the autumn and winter, cod and whiting are the dominant species, but from April through to October a much wider mix of fishing is on offer. On a typical day trip from our cottages, you could start by drifting for bass using light tackle and live sandeels. Later, you might anchor over a sandbank and fish for rays and turbot. For your final session, the skipper might move to another mark so that you can try for tope.
For coarse fishing enthusiasts, a local highlight is White Springs Fishery, home to some 17 species of coarse fish in specimen proportions including Bream, Tench, Carp, Roach, Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Golden Orfe, Crucian and Rainbow Trout.